Dear all,

HIP aside, I wonder how many more lute students we'll all have because
of Sting's efforts? After the Studio 60 episode, I felt that the music
was well respected (for a TV series) and perhaps the lute will again,
be equated as an instrument of "woo" to the opposite sex. Certainly the
repertoire is available.

The bottom line here is that whatever we think of his performance or
interpretation, he respected the music and the instrument. Is it so bad
to have our repertoire in a public sphere when it hasn't been for a
while? Would we rather have Slash do a CD of LeRoy psalms? Perhaps
Dream Theater could re-interpret the consort repertoire? Anyone for
Metallica frottolas?

I think the album is just fine. Bravo Sting - and thanks for doubling
the size of my studio.

Best

Gary Beckman
Doctoral Candidate: Musicology