Andrew,

Actually, many professionals use nylgut - Paul O'Dette, Nigel North,
Hopkinson Smith.  I think (but, I am uncertain) that Rolf Lislevand uses
them as well.  I know Jakob Lindberg used to use them.

I have my renaissance 8 course in partial nylgut, because I have to use
that instrument under difficult situations.  Otherwise, I mostly use gut,
for vihuela, 10 course, baroque guitar, 11 course, and my 13 course.  Yes,
the tuning is sometimes an issue, along with treble string breakage, but
the wonderful rich sound of gut makes it all worth while.  If one
equilibrates the instrument to the room, tuning works well. When I perform
in gut, I must get to the hall 3 hours in advance to insure good tuning.

Sometimes I regret not using synthetics, but gut is the most satisfying
sound of all, so I stick with it.

Someone said earlier today that the 5th course is a problem, but the Pistoy
5th is, in my opinion, the most beautiful string imaginable, for either a
renaissance or baroque lute.

ed

At 01:22 PM 2/7/2007 +0000, Andrew Gibbs wrote:
>Do any serious players use nylgut synthetic strings? perhaps more for
>renaissance than baroque lutes...
>
>Andrew
>
>On 7 Feb 2007, at 12:02, Stephan Olbertz wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > the bridge of my baroque lute came off recently (ouch), but it has
> > been
> > fixed and I would like to take the "opportunity" to put new strings
> > on and
> > maybe switch to gut. Dan Larsons strings would sum up to about 360
> > $ (ouch
> > again), Aquila is about the same. Does anyone know what Sofracob
> > charges
> > for a (13c) set? I couldn't find any information on the web...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stephan
> >

> > To get on or off this list see list information at
> > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812