On Feb 7, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Edward Martin wrote:

> I have my renaissance 8 course in partial nylgut, because I have to
> use
> that instrument under difficult situations.  Otherwise, I mostly
> use gut,
> for vihuela, 10 course, baroque guitar, 11 course, and my 13 course.

When I bought my theorbo back in November (from Jason Petty in
Brooklyn) it was strung with the first five strings in nylgut.  It
sounds fine.  When the nylgut finally needs replacement, I'll
probably try something else, like carbon fibre maybe, but just to see
what the difference is.  Basically, I think nylgut works on some
lutes, but not on others.  Of course, if I didn't have classical
guitar obligations from time to time, I would string entirely in gut!

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com