Thank you Arthur.  What an extraordinary story, and what a happy ending.

Howard Mayer Brown's book certainly lives on my desk.  A good quality
reprint is available on demand from iuniverse.com for the very reasonable
price of $32.95.  560 jam-packed pages.
http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=1-58348-525-2

Peter