Setting aside the level of difficulty, the piece is in a very
different, and later style. I supposes if you played it very fast, it
would be more difficult.
For some reason I always thought of it as more gallant than speedy,
but I haven't looked at it in a while.

Dowland's authoritative works, of which there are few, I believe
present a real musical message, or statement.
In this case, the statement seems to be, "well, I don't like mindless
divisions, I prefer real counterpoint, but if you insist on
divisions, here is an interesting and musical way to do it"
Not to say that I know what he is thinking, I don't, but that is the
way I read it in the context of his letters and other writings.
He is caving a bit toward the new styles, for a book designed for
popular appeal.

So the question of which lute to use is easy to solve--the later one.

Then the pairing becomes an interesting question, I'll see if there
is a way to do it, it would be fun to see if any of the Pavans in LOST
might be a good match. I'll start with Coactae (V).

dt

Amateur, really?  Lightening-quick divisions over a
moving bass easy amateur material?

 > The combination of the faster notes with less chords
 > was irrestible,
 > presumably because they are easier to play yet sound
 > more difficult.

Hmmm... interesting perspective.  Personally, I've
never found fast runs to be all that easy.