Sorry Martin, I can only recall that I did read it in a friend's copy
many years ago. Although I don't have an eidetic memory (I have the
other kind) it did strike me very strongly. I hope someone else on
the list can jump in, verify my recollection and pin down the quote.

The most spectacular non-seated performance by a real musician on a
plucked, fretted instrument was a performance I once witnessed at the
old Yoshi's restaurant & Jazz club in Oakland, CA. An elderly blues
virtuoso (forget his name- idiotic memory working as normal)
had a wireless solid body electric. After some normal hopping around,
he exited the front door of the club, walked around the parking lot,
came in through the back door from the kitchen, still playing in
synch with the rest of the band, and proceeded to do front and back
rolls- somersaults- guitar in hands and playing all the while.
Breathtakingly agile, coordinated, and musical too; reminded me of
martial arts training (much younger) where we did front rolls holding
wooden staffs and feeling good if we could roll and come up staff in
hand without dropping it or impaling ourselves.

Didn't some of the French players run a string from a peg at the base
of the lute to the peg near the neck/body joint where one might also
anchor the 10th fret, if tied, to hook onto a coat button for
standing play?