From: Charles Browne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:59 AM
To: Lutelist
Subject: [LUTE] standing position for playing

Dear All,
I was fascinated to watch Andrew Maginley at the recent Lute Society meeting
as he played the baroque lute while standing. I have been trying this over
the last two weeks with an archlute and a swanneck baroque lute and it is
quite an interesting experience. I have  found it much easier than I thought
although the low ceiling in our cottage now has pockmarks all over!  The
archlute is easier to hold than the baroque lute due, in part, to the
relative shallowness of the archlute bowl. The lute strap has a short 'tail'
on which I usually sit and I tuck this end through a belt-loop on my
trousers. The physical balance is easier to maintain and I do not feel so
stiff after playing, presumably because I am standing upright and can move a
little. Could these callisthenics be regarded as 'Playing a short exercise"?
No, perhaps not!
I wondered whether there are others who have converted from the sitting
position and who observations about their own experiences?
best wishes
Charles