Von: Ron Andrico [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2008 18:06
An: The Other
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: new piece of the month

To All:

Without getting too tedious or serious about this subject, it seems people
are missing a major point: Everyone who was educated in the 16th century was
educated in music.  It was one of the seven liberal arts (among the
quadrivium of sciences), and the practice of music was _not_ just a pastime,
but rather an integral part of daily life.  Private devotional practices,
before and after Luther's theses, were integrated into daily routine and,
again, this was not so much a matter of personal choice but as normal as
logging onto the internet today.  This is why there were so many
intabulations of sacred polyphony and, later, psalm collections.  Honest,
I'm not making this up.

The audience for printed lute music was predominantly the rising merchant
class, who wished to emulate the noble houses in their cultural trappings.
I think the published 'rules for singing' in the Petrucci prints and
elsewhere was aimed at this audience.

We think of music today as an 'extra' but, in 16th-century practice, it was
a necessity.  One only needs to omit all recorded or broadcast music from
their lives for a while to become aware of its ubiquitous presence at home
and in public places today.  Music was even more important 500 years ago,
only it was played by real people as a part of daily life.
Best wishes,

Ron Andrico
www.mignarda.com
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:33:02 -0500> CC: Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [LUTE] Re: new piece of the month> > On Wed,
2008-04-30 at 19:22 +0100, Ron Fletcher wrote:> > Zarlino, in _Istitutioni
harmoniche_, 1558, wrote: "Matters for the singer> > to observe are these:
First of all he must aim diligently to perform what> > the composer has
written. He must not be like those who, wishing to be> > thought worthier
and wiser than their colleagues, indulge in certain rapid> > improvisations
that are so savage and so inappropriate that they not only> > annoy the
hearer but are riddled with thousands of errors, such as many> >
dissonances, consecutive unisons, octaves, fifths, and other similar> >
progressions absolutely intolerable in composition. Then there are singers>
> who substitute higher or lower tones for those intended by the composer,>
> singing for instance a whole tone instead of a semitone, or vice versa,> >
leading to countless errors as we!
 ll as offense to the ear. Singers should> > aim to render faithfully what
is written to express the composer's intent,> > intoning the correct steps
in the right places." > > > > [Gioseffo Zarlino, _The Art of Counterpoint_,
translated by Guy A. Marco and> > Claude V. Palisca, (New Haven: Yale
University Press, 1968) ppg 110-111.]> > > > I wish the modern-day R&B
singers would take this to heart. They never hold> > a note and sing every
possible note around it instead! My friends say it is> > merely
interpretation and ornamentation. I beg to differ...The twiddly-bits> > are
for the instruments, not the voice!> > What ever happened for the quest to
sing/play the "one" perfect note?> > Or maybe that's a modern quest. Just
musing...> "The Other" Stephen Stubbs> > > > To get on or off this list see
list information at> http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html