Or exactly the opposite- that the ability to sing was far from prevalent.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Denys Stephens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:46 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: new piece of the month

Dear Ron,
Just a short note in support of your point: as I am sure
you will remember, the lute instructions in the Petrucci
prints are entitled 'Regole per quelli che non sanno cantare' -
i.e. for those who don't know how to sing. Petrucci and his
lutenist contributors clearly expected to sell copies to
amateur players without formal musical skills.

Best wishes,

Denys