On Apr 30, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Rob MacKillop wrote:

2. The important part of your useful Zarlino quotation, for me at
least, was
'progressions absolutely intolerable in composition'. This clearly
divides
the matter into two seemingly polar camps: Performance Practice and
Compositional Practice. I guess Zarlino was a composer?!

I don't think that polarization of that kind existed then any more
than it does today.  I think composers had certain expectations of
singers, and it's our job as supposedly knowledgeable HIP musicians
to know how to round out the music in the ways the composers would
have expected.  I think Zarlino meant that there isn't any difference
between compositional practice and performance practice, except in
the hands of poor singers.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]