Hi Mike,

   I don't play with fingernails, but many lute players do (and did) so
   come to your own decision about that. I think the majority of us play
   with flesh.

   Also, many Renaissance lutes had long string lengths, even longer than
   your classical guitar, so you do not need to play with a capo at all.
   However, many classical guitarists use a capo on position II or
   sometimes III as they think it gets them closer to a lute sound - which
   of course it doesn't ;-)

   Importantly, the string spacing for both hands is narrower on a lute.
   Try out a 12-string guitar in your local guitar shop. That will give a
   much better idea of what it is to play a lute, including octave basses.

   Rob