No doubt my knowledge is lacking, but here is an example of what I
meant: if I imagine where the nut/first fret of a guitar would be
located in space, put my hand there, palm open, and then turn it
counter-clockwise (as if turning a doorknob), it becomes uncomfortable
to turn it more than about 30 degrees beyond vertical.  By "turning
over" my hand, I mean holding it out palm horizontal, as if doing the
"Macarena", for example.  The main result, at least when I was toying
with an electric bass, is that it's difficult to get my pinky onto the
fretboard when fretting a low-pitched string with my first finger (esp
near the nut).  Hopefully this is a problem I'll be able to work out.