The tension on a lute is usually lower than a guitar. Why don't you try tuning your guitar down a tone or two. A distance between the 8th and 9th fret on your guitar equaling the 1st to 2nd fret on the lute would make for a very small lute! However, put a capo wherever it is comfortable to play. You don't want to be straining. The 12 string would give you a very rough idea of the spacing but the tension is so different you wouldn't get a lute experience out of it.

When you say it is difficult for you to turn your left hand completely over, I don't understand what you mean, but if you mean it is difficult to reach around and touch the frets, you are probably doing something not quite right. You shouldn't have to bend the wrist excessively. I think you would do well to get some lessons in the beginning stage when habits are formed. Even via Skype, I'm sure help can be had. Try examining some videos of people playing at .ning or youtube.

There are good cheap lutes available, but cheap is a relative term. You should be able to find something highly playable in the $800-1500 range. Anything far less than that and you would be getting into questionable territory. Do ask about luthiers.

Don't talk yourself out of this endeavor!
cheers,