Well- what heights, exactly was it up to; and where precisely has it
slipped today? Is there some higher orbit that it was "supposed" to
attain, other than where it is now? It seems to me that it went from
close to nowhere (early 20th century) and finally reached a proper
level, (Thank you, Tarrega, Miguel Llobet, Andres, Julian, Alirio
Diaz, et al) at which point things level out- very logical in the
normal course of events. Hell, it's not supposed to be a real-estate
or other such bubble- those things just crash and burn. That's not
happening by a long shot. And where is the lute world today by
comparison, if this is not too much of an attempt to measure apples
against oranges? (Maybe it is.) As to bland, I disagree- listen to
David Starobin's stuff, he's not the only one, either.

  Me, I simply prefer the lute & its entire milieu as a matter of who
I am musically; but for my listening pleasure all good guitarists of
all genres hold up very well- Jazz, blues, Gypsy jazz, Latin
American, even Classical. Recently I heard some Astor Piazzola (some
original guitar, some very well transcribed pieces) that I love so
much I may try to get and desecrate on the Renaissance lute. First
time since I did Dave Van Ronk's "St. Louis Tickle" in 1976 on an
8-course lute at an LSA Seminar that I've even wanted to play
relatively modern guitar music. Incidentally, Villa Lobos' Etude #1
is a dynamite arpeggio exercise for the bass viola da gamba (OT-
Sorry!)

Dan