To be productive with tex I needed to use an editor like kile so I
   don't have to use a text console constantly.  With lilypond I found
   frescobaldi which is similar to the editors you use with tex,  It
   really just gets you out of the console.
   When using kile with tex you get a library of commands you can insert
   into your document for convenience.  Frescobaldi doesn't have that
   level of functionality yet but you get a nice gui which is better than
   using a console.