Dear Seth,
All of those..
Materials, Labor, Know-how and the fact that are so few lutenists around the world. In Romania... we are just few (maximum 10) of us and the population is 23 millions
Selling en-gros makes the price lower.
If you buy a Pakistani lute, as mister Lorinczi said, you have to desansemble this and to rebuild it.
500 usd plus the cost to rebuild the whole thing.

My lute is a piece of art!
I really like it and is worth to compare with other lutes. also
If you want to see lutes produced by mister lorinczi
please visit my blog
here

Sorry for my Romanian :)

http://mariuscruceru.ro/2009/05/27/instrumentul-ingerilor/
http://mariuscruceru.ro/2009/05/16/gyuri-baci/
that theorba, vihuela from this clip are made by lorinczi too http://www.shooopps.com/view.php?movieN=nota_bene
the rosette is from my lute
http://mariuscruceru.ro/2009/09/03/saptamina-trecuta-am-primit-lauta/

http://trezirespirituala.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/lauta-si-chitara-clasica-update/

this lutenist, Caius Hera is a Romanian, the best lutenist in the country in my humble opinion, former student of Hopkinson Smith at Schola Cantorum BAsiliensis,
He is playing on Lorinczi Lutes here
http://trezirespirituala.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/clipuri-din-concertul-cu-caius-hera/

Enjoy!

Seth Appel wrote:
   So the thread about student lutes and costs has got my brain working...
   and let me state right away that by profession I am a business man and
   not am musician.

   Why does a lute cost as much as it does?

   Is it materials?

   Labor?

   A price premium for know-how?

   Are the Pakistani lutes cheap (in both the good and bad sense) because
   they are using poor materials, or is it because the craftspeople simple
   don't know how to make them better?  Could an accomplished luthier go
   to Pakistan and work with them for a month and enable them to start
   producing truly good lutes at the same price?

   Or would this transformation take years of education and training?

   I wouldn't expect the Pakistani factory to produce master peices, but,
   as noted earlier, if someone can produce passable violins at $300, and
   lord knows there are plenty of cheap but OK guitars around, it escapes
   me why there are not cheap but OK lutes in the marketplace.

   On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM, marius david cruceru