>    So the thread about student lutes and costs has got my brain working...
>    and let me state right away that by profession I am a business man and
>    not am musician.

Then as a businessman you know enough to begin with a market survey.

The mailing lists of the various lute societys are a good first indicator,
and are not encouraging.  Future growth might be a reasonable expectation
if affordable instruments were available, but the US has been steadily
decreasing the resources it devotes to k-12 music in school.  I live on
the eastern end of long island, one of the more affluent areas in terms of
school budgets in the US; but even here the teachers here two decades ago
who were possible sources for private lessons have long ago been layed off
as school budgets declined.  There was an opportunity two decades ago,
interest in early music and lute in particular was reflected by CD bins
with sections for lute music and individual lute performers in Borders
books and Barnes & Nobles as well as large city specialty stores like the
Harvard and MIT coops.  Those bins are now empty.

Several enterprising luthiers have in the past considered how to improve
the manufacturing process, even in the context of a one-man shop; as I
have already stated, the factory approach is not appealing for the kind of
craftsman who turns to luthiery (often leaving behind a more lucrative
career making sawdust and kitchen cabinets).

Since then there have been some technological breakthrus using computer
controlled machines and lasers.  The machines are expensive for an
individual to make the investment, but can sometimes be hired out, and the
software that programs them can be had seperately to minimize onsite
setup.  It needs exploration, and some funding.  Lutes are not the only
instruments to consider.
--
Dana Emery