On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:18 PM, Seth Appel wrote:

> I am a business man and
>    not am musician...
> ...it escapes
> me why there are not cheap but OK lutes in the marketplace.

Sure, there are 300 dollar Yamaha CG's hanging on the walls of every
music store in the civilized world.  But that's because there's a
large market for the cheap guitars among the folks who just want to
try out the guitar, or try guitar lessons for their kids.

Another reason why there's not much of a market for cheap lutes is
that lutes are very delicate instruments and don't hold up very well
under the not-so-tender ministrations of guitar players' fingernails
and "classical" technique.  No-one, as far as I know, churns out
cheap lutes that can take the punishment that cheap guitars can.  The
lute world is all about those gorgeous paper-thin, light-as-air
historical art copies, which are not really competitive in today's
music business.  Lutemakers don't take their instruments to the NAMM
show;  they go to the early-music seminar workshop venues.

David Rastall
dlu...@verizon.net
www.rastallmusic.com