> I wonder if you could relatively inexpensively construct a lute (the bowl,
> at minimum) from carbon fiber (like some acoustic guitars) or molded
> plastic
> (like an Ovation guitar), and what it would sound like?

Plastic was tried by EMS/Bradford (or was it cast resin?)

Carbon fiber would be harder, but would share a similar problem, how do
you fasten the top?  I would use a rim of wood on the bowl so hide glue
would have something to soak into.

At times in my life I have considered employment opportunitys working on
fiberglass boats, and have taken cabinetmaking positions where I worked
with composites.  Lots of nasty chemicals are involved with high
likelyhood of liver and kidney damage, hands get sliced up by ragged
edges.  Noisy machines.  Not fun.
--
Dana Emery