> (think of Altos and their Baroque plastic recorders, which can be
> phenomenally good but they ain't wood).

Molds for plastic are capable of the precision needed to churn out
instruments that are acousitcally similar, making post-mold tuning
unnecessary.

So long as the instrument is blown by a human being, there will be a need
for the hygroscopic properties of cedar in the head joint.  I think it was
one of the aulos alto instruments, made with a plastic plug that could be
removed and replaced by a wooden plug.  That was a sweet instrument.
Knock out the plug, give it a bath when it gets funky, play it outdoors if
you like.

Wooden instruments get soggy after a while and need resting, plastic ones
play far longer, but dont have quite the same sound and are prone to
burble when the RH is high.

the look issue is important, there have been ebony lues, but dark bowled
instruments are not commonplace, and some attempt at wood-graining or the
like would be necessary IMHO.
--
Dana Emery