Dear Dana and Peter,

1/ Not all performers were from TCM. Most of them probably was paid (maybe apart from the students). 2/ There are some players around who I am sure would be very keen on playing. It could be just an instrument presentation. 3/ I am not criticizing organizers (no matter how it may sound). On the contrary I have to say that the venue was perfectly organised and there was a great atmospher there, but then I just had this feeling of pitty that we were not better represented there. It was so nice to meet David van Edwards at LS stand, so I thought it would be nice as well to meet other makers, players, funs, see what they work on, talk to them, compare instruments etc. The place is really perfect for this kind of event. The whole early music world shrank a little bit these days and during the time of recession (with financial cuts seen almost everywhere) instruments less popular suffer most I think.

Jaroslaw

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Martin" <peter.l...@gmail.com>
To: "Lute list" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2009 9:00 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Greenwich festival

  My understanding is that the exhibition organisers' policy is, as far
  as possible, to use performers from Trinity College of Music, where the
  exhibition is hosted.  This year's programme seems to bear that out.
  Jacob Heringman, who has played there before, is the lute professor at
  TCM.

  2009/11/15 <[1]dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us>

  > Again agree, but why there are no lute recitals, presentations,
  > masterclasses at Greenwich? We know there were some in past, so why
  not
  > this year?

    well, who is to give the master class(s)?  who will play the
    recital?
    Somene with skill and a recognizable name; perhaos none were
    available on
    those dates; perhaps the organizers took a theme that didnt
    encourage such
    activitys.  Venue has to be rented and payed for, the artist expect
    something in the envelope, and if travel is involved that fattens
    the
    envelope and perhaps adds an expectation of accomodation; if only on
    some
    friendly livingroom floor.
    These are questions to put to the organizer(s), perhaps thru (for
    Greenwich) the LS, or from someone who has volunteered and is on the
    'inside'.

  --
  Dana Emery