I agree about economical issues, however it doesn't seem to explain everything. Why harpsichord makers could show their instruments? Why gamba makers could show what they produce? I doubt if anyone would actually buy any of these instruments during the exhibition. Even Kingham cases where represented (1 for baroque lute and 2 for a long neck instruments) and probably they won't have any income just because of showing them. Those cases have to be made on order to fit a specific instrument in. But they decided that what counts is their presence there.

Retail stores selling early music and instruments have product that will
appeal to thin wallets - new music, a tin whistle or plastic recorder,
perhaps a reed or some lapping thread; as well as more substantial items
for show or (rarely) actual sale to stimulate future interest.

Obviously there are several reasons for being there, but as I say the whole venue is not only about selling

There are some few folk make a tour of the summer 'renaissance' festivals,
and large events like the pennsic war (www.SCA.org, www.pennsic.org); but
I suspect for the lutenist its events where the focus is on playing lute
in ensemble where you have the best chance to survey instruments.

Again agree, but why there are no lute recitals, presentations, masterclasses at Greenwich? We know there were some in past, so why not this year? The whole atmosphere around the festival is nice, so many people involved in early music come to see the event, so I really think we could show a little bit more. I know it is all very difficult to organise. Anyway, lets hope we'll see some more lute makers and hear some lute music next year.

Jaroslaw