For those of you into comparing lutes, the best event is the LSA's Lute
   Tasting. This is always a part of the festivities at our seminar at
   Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio - end of June in
   2010.  Last time there were 2 sessions - one for renaissance and one
   for baroque and the same player played the same piece on all the
   similar lutes (I think it was O'Dette and Barto mostly), giving their
   opinions on the instrument.  This is a golden opportunity for luthiers
   to show their wares to a lot of pprospective buyers in one palce.
   Nancy

     Speaking from the point of view of someone who has on occasion
     organized one of these things, noise is a big problem that the
     presenters choose to ignore.
     The "softies" have to form a group, ask for a separate room, and
     have
     breakout rooms.

     This is true , however on this occasion it could be quite easly
     organised. Some had their quiet booth. George Stevens had his stand
     in the side corridor (very quiet and good acoustics!). There was no
     problem in hearing his lutes  (I've played some of them). The
     corridor was long enough to fit more lute makers.

     I think they should all just suit up in armor and duke it out. The
     bagpipes will win, but they win anyway.
     Even better--lutes, harps and viols should organize their own event.

     This is an excelent idea to be able to compare several lutes from
     different lute makers in one place. I am looking forward to it.
     Jaroslaw

     dt