All that Dana says, as usual, is true, but it's also true that even at
   it's beginning there was not much of a lute presence at the BEMF
   exhibition.  I was there as an employee, moving in Hubbard Harpsichords
   and manning the booth.  Of course, I don't have total recall, but I
   remember being disappointed in the dearth of (finger-)plucked
   offerings.

   Best to all,

   Chris.
   >>> <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> 11/14/2009 11:04 AM >>>
   Unfortunatly, there are some harsh economic realities involved in
   renting
   a table at events like the BEMF.  You have to man the table, staff
   doing
   so need accommodation and food, and are not producing work in your
   shop.
   If your shop is selling smaller instruments such as recorders and
   bagpipes
   you have a reasonable expectation of paying off the table, and can look
   forward to some increased interest in the shop in months to come.  If
   your
   product is something more substantial, valued at the price of a used
   car,
   then its harder to find customers.  Its hardest for the periodical or
   society to recover the cost of a table, eve when manned by volunteers.
   IF you dont have a sale or two the table rent is a hefty uncompensated
   business expense.  Then you have the time spent not building, the
   aching
   back from crashing on a friends floor, or the expensive hotel room; and
   the food moneys eating out.
   Retail stores selling early music and instruments have product that
   will
   appeal to thin wallets - new music, a tin whistle or plastic recorder,
   perhaps a reed or some lapping thread; as well as more substantial
   items
   for show or (rarely) actual sale to stimulate future interest.
   There are some few folk make a tour of the summer 'renaissance'
   festivals,
   and large events like the pennsic war (www.SCA.org, www.pennsic.org);
   but
   I suspect for the lutenist its events where the focus is on playing
   lute
   in ensemble where you have the best chance to survey instruments.
   --
   Dana Emery