> Sadly, most articles have an expiration date of say twenty years.
   David:
   As one who greatly values the historical research of many great
   scholars in my chosen field, I must gently offer a strong disagreement.
   Best,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com
   > Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:33:16 -0800
   > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: vidan...@sbcglobal.net
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Terminology: brise
   >
   > I don't think the material in that article is complete and up to
   date.
   > For example, there was a perfectly good term for the broken style
   which
   > is Harpege.
   > It isn't clear at all what luthe means, it could me "unmeasured" or
   > refer to the separation of the bass and the treble, and so on.
   > Sadly, most articles have an expiration date of say twenty years.
   > dt
   > At 06:09 PM 11/29/2009, you wrote:
   >
   > Danny & all:
   > The article that best defines the terminology is
   > "Style brise, Style luthe," and the "Choses luthees", by David J.
   > Buch, The Musical Quarterly, Vol. 71, No. 1 (1985), pp. 52-67
   > Best wishes,
   > Ron Andrico
   > [1]www.mignarda.com
   > > Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:22:58 -0800
   > > To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > > From: vidan...@sbcglobal.net
   > > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Terminology: brise
   > >
   > > The fact that it has not yet been traced back
   > > does not make it a modern term. Articles which
   > > say that it cannot be traced do not even have a
   > > footnote saying where they looked, they should
   > > have just said they could not find it and listed
   > > the sources. I doubt that all the sources have
   > > been searched for it. In addition, the term
   > > brisee means, among other things, plucked in the
   > > 17th century, so it must have been used to
   > > describe instruments like the harp and the lute.
   > > Dictionaries give plucked as a definition as
   > > early as ca1600. There may be even parallel
   > > compounds like "accents brisees" that people have
   > > not even looked for. Some of these may be related
   > > terms, such as cadence brisee which is quite
   > > early. I suspect there is a more than even chance
   > > an earlier useage of the term will surface, and
   > > then we can debate if luthe and brise are the same :)
   > > As far as the term luthe, it would be better if
   > > we can find out what the lute players called it
   > > as the harpsichordists may have used a different term.
   > > dt
   > >
   > > At 06:24 AM 11/29/2009, you wrote:
   > > >Yes, good point, "style brise" is a modern term.
   > > >It's better to use "style luthe" instead if we
   > > >really have to use anything at all.
   > > >
   > > >JL
   > > >

   > > >----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Probert"
   > <probe...@gmail.com>

   http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MFESRP&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=
   TEXT_MFESRP_Local_MapsMenu_Resturants_1x1

   Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. [1]Sign up now.