Are you saying that Dowland was familiar with Coprario's setting and
adapted it, or can it be either that they both used the same poem
--with some important changes--or is it also possible that the extra
verses were added later?
I don't see a convincing timeline as far as the composition of the
poem, the verses and the settings. Stylistically, I think Dowland's
version was composed first, but that would be difficult to prove as
there are no mss. I would imagine Dowlands song to be from around
1597 to 1600, and Coprario at least 4 years later. Changing the
important words such as "dying live" to "living die" seems to
indicate either different versions were in circulation or the
composers changed the poem.
dt