   From: "chriswi...@yahoo.com" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
   To: Lute list <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Peter Martin
   <peter.l...@gmail.com>
   Sent: Thu, December 3, 2009 9:34:32 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Renaissance Metaphors
   --- On Thu, 12/3/09, Peter Martin <[1]peter.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
   > From: Peter Martin <[2]peter.l...@gmail.com>
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Renaissance Metaphors
   > To: "Lute list" <[3]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   > Date: Thursday, December 3, 2009, 9:54 AM
   >    Reminds me of
   > "Starless and Bible Black".  King Crimson, via Dylan
   >    Thomas.

   The poem is not quite up to the eloquent heights of desperation evinced
   in a line like "cigarettes and ice cream," but "Darkness" is still a
   pretty decent tune.
   The poem's definitely about depression.  Not truly debilitating
   clinical depression, but the sort of narcissistic, "Woe is me!
   Everyone _look_ at me wallowing in my own special brand of
   Weltschmertz!  Don't you feel such great sorrow and respect for my poor
   poet's soul that feels everything so much more deeply than y'all?"
   Its important to keep in mind that melancholy was a fashionable
   artistic conceit at the time.  It really was a game of "I can out-sad
   you."  Thus, a lot of this rep has its tongue firmly implanted in its
   cheek and there are excursions into outright cheesiness.  C'mon, can
   anyone _really_ take that "jarring, jarring sounds" bit seriously???
   Melancholy was a fad precisely because it was a lot of fun to camp it
   up play the sad boy.  In essence, they're mocking true depression with
   a wink and a nudge.  Knowing this does not invalidate the repertoire,
   but it can help to add insights into performance.  There are enough
   subtle twists and turns in Dowland's settings of these poems to let us
   know that he was in on the "joke" as much as anyone else.  So taking
   everything with deadpan seriousness is a mistake.  I've always found
   performances that do this to be the most disappointing.
   Chris