It is important to stress that liuto-forte is neither wandervogel nor markneukirchen. It is not an uninteresting instrument, but it is really NOT marketable to the lute crowd (and I told Andre so unequivocally). Them guitar players should really be loving it, as it opens all the possiblities of lute literature for them, especially Bach (and we all know how hideous JSB sounds on classical guitar).
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Winheld" <dwinh...@comcast.net>
To: "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@verizon.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:07 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Liuto forte

Thank you, Roman- the web site looks to be very interesting reading for starters. Off the cuff impression- taking bits & pieces from the old single-strung Scandinavian/North European "guitar-lute", and the heavy 20th century bombproof East German and "Julian Bream" styles and refining the hell out them to come up with something easier on the eyes as well as useful. Still not sure if I want to let it in the house for more than a visit, but maybe I would go out on a single blind date with one just to see what's up.

Dan

It is a single-strung lute and guitar hybrid designed by Andre Burguete, that aproximates lute sound while purporting to have the volume of the guitar. It uses nylon overspun with fine steel wire, and has some interesting and useful peculiarities in the bridge and soundboard construction.
Fixed metal frets are supposedly less dampening to the sound (negligibly).
This technology might yield a nice and loud theorbo in ET.
But one really misses the overtone palette of double strings.
It is a very suitable instrument for a guitarist who is sick of the guitar repertoire, but is unwilling to part with his nails.