I think there are only two versions of the Magnificat, a simplified one for less ambitious performers and the one usually performed.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tayler" <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>
To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:52 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: another day at the office

Since we know the uniformity rule is almost always true, we can
surmise that any work that establishes an unique performance practice
is most likely not true.
There just was no one way to perform the Vespers. The fact that
Monteverdi published two versions should be all the evidence one needs.

However, any work that goes through all of the Vespers settings would
be interesting to read, I have counted over two hundred. Since I
haven't seen the article I won't comment, but if all two hundred are
researched I will be amazed and delighted.

There is a payroll for the orchestras in Venice which includes lute
players--theorbo--I suppose like most lute players they were
routinely fired and rehired for not drinking enough.
dt

Just for the record - because 2010 is the 400 anniversary of the
printing of the Vespers the English periodical Early Music Review
has articles on different aspects of them by Clifford Bartlett who
is an authority on them, has examined every surviving source,
including the payrolls of places where they are likely to have been
performed and edited the version which is widely used in this country at least.

The only option he suggests for the continuo is the organ -  the
continuo part is in the form of an organ score.  He points out that
they were intended for performance in a private chapel not in a
large public space. He thinks that they would have been performed
with one voice to a part and that the instruments would probably
have only played what is actually written for them.

He has some interesting things to say on the liturgical background
to them and the feasts of Our Lady on which they might have been performed.

I though of e-mailing him and asking him he thought about a baroque
guitar in the continuo ...but I know he has a lot of other things on
his mind at the moment.

As Stuart points out - they may have been performed by musicians in
the nude but the balence of probabilities is against this.   I think
the balence of probabilities is against using anything other than
the organ for the continuo group.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>