     From: Stewart McCoy <lu...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Lute volume
     To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 20 October, 2010, 10:52

      Dear Martyn,
      The problem with discussions of this sort is that we often have
      different things in mind, and the thread has covered different kinds
   of
      performance.
      I agree that an amplifier would be out of place for a HIP
   performance
      say for a lute recital in a church, but if, for example, you agree
      play the lute as background music for a social occasion, when people
      are sipping champagne, munching canapes, and talking loudly to each
      other, you have to be amplified or you won't be heard. My view is
   that
      it is better for people to hear and enjoy amplified lute music on
   such
      occasions, than not hear and not enjoy HIP lute music without
      amplification. I don't see anything odd about that.
      Best wishes,
      Stewart.