--- On Wed, 20/10/10, Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

     From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: Lute volume
     To: "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
     Date: Wednesday, 20 October, 2010, 14:26

   I very much agree with your closing sentiments below.  As you'll know,
   there is considerable evidence that close to the bridge playing was the
   general rule from the later 16th century onwards. The 'lute' (sometimes
   'theorbo') stop on the harpsichord allows a row of jacks closer to the
   bridge to be brought into play and on that instrument certainly results
   in a penetrating sound. I'm not aware of any evidence why it was so
   called: perhaps because of the quality of sound, or of plucking close
   to the bridge or perhaps a combination of the two.

   Martyn