Echo again - yes, Dan Larson's gimped are similar to what you
describe.  But once again, I would not use them on mid-range, 5th &
6th courses, as gimped are stiff strings, and the intonation while
fretting is not as good as plain gut, or certainly, Pistoys for those course.

ed

At 06:58 PM 12/5/2010, Daniel Winheld wrote:
>How different is that from Larson's "Gimp" strings- a wire embedded &
>twisted into his Pistoy high twist bass gut strings? He offers copper
>and silver, among others. For a while he used gold wire. Out of sight
>now, of course. They were fabulous; I had two at one time- they did
>service as 5 & 6 on my bass viol and then worked out even better as
>7th & 8th courses on a 72 cm. bass lute I once had.
>
>A report on the Asian strings would be interesting.
>
>Dan
>
> >The perfect solution for gut bass strings is the one seen in for
> >example in some Asian instruments, where a wire core is wrapped with
> >gut, silk or some other material.
> >I have tried some Pipa strings made like this that were very nice,
> >but not available in all sizes.
> >You get the greater strength and weight of the string without the
> >metallic surface.
> >Since there is a huge boom in baroque and renaissance instrument
> >making in China right now, I'm sure different types of strings could
> >be commissioned.
> >
> >dt
>
>--
>Rachel Winheld
>820 Colusa Avenue
>Berkeley, CA 94707
>
>rwinh...@comcast.net
>Tel 510.526.0242
>Cell 510.915.4276
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812