On 08/05/2011 10:41, David van Ooijen wrote:
On 8 May 2011 11:31, Andrew Gibbs<and...@publicworksoffice.co.uk>  wrote:
Thanks Stuart - like it! Do you know: did Margriet Verbeek write this
specifically for lute - or for guitar?
Margriet is a classical guitarist/composer from Holland. She has no
compositions for lute on her page:

http://www.margrietverbeek.nl/welcome.html

David

I emailed Margriet a while ago. I'd made a simple lute arrangement of one of her Bagatelles for piano. She was quite intrigued and she dug out and put up a pdf of a guitar piece she had written a long time ago and thought I might be able to adapt it for lute.

(the guitar Partita is on this page: http://www.margrietverbeek.nl/sheetmusic2.html)

At the time I thought it was just too guitaristic for lute (and too difficult). And, at the time, I thought it it just better just to play a guitar piece on a guitar! But now I think that some guitar pieces have the possibility of sounding very well on a lute. The lute and the modern classical guitar, although very close, are also in lots of subtle ways, very different and a piece written for modern classical guitar can have a different and wothwhile existence as a piece for lute. (And not just a 'guitar' piece played on a lute as you often seem to say, David)

I now look at some guitar music and read it as a lute in G, so all the fiddly guitar fingering goes out of the window and the music sits lower on the fretboard. Open strings are fine.

Of the four pieces of Margriet's Partita, the Jigg looked like it had the most potential. I might have very slightly violated the rules of serial composition in bar 10 of the second section but apart from that everything works well.

Stuart