Caravaggio al frodo! Doesn't The Hobbit start out w/ a motley crew (no um"laut"s) of dwarves having a party at Bilbo's house w/ lots of lutes and things?

Looking at the Wiki article (thanks Ed!), one of the 3 versions of this appears to be a 7c and the other two are 6c's --all doubled top strings. Good news for Arto.

Sean

On Nov 19, 2011, at 3:48 PM, William Samson wrote:

  Mystery solved - Neither man nor woman, but hobbit:

  [1]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTijRxDsyaGkEGqjRpoAOsMXJlfU
  uB12mGMD6v6BPdZVNmmvHcpGyTZ4DcK1w

  From: Garry Warber <garrywar...@hughes.net>
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
  Sent: Saturday, 19 November 2011, 20:45
  Subject: [LUTE] Re: Double 1st string on 6 course lutes?
  My favorite painting of all time...  To my surprise, I've heard the
  lute player referred to as a boy.  Is that correct?  I've always
  fancied "her" as female... :-)
  Garry
  -----Original Message----- From: William Samson
  Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:23 PM
  To: wikla ; [2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
    And another (6c this time!) from Caravaggio

  [1][3]http://www.hermitageshop.org/store/images/large/0003150A4_3_LRG.j
  pg
    Bill