Thanks for the reference, Bill.   There have been new discoveries
since the time the article was written, where we now cannot claim
that vihuelas were string in unison.  Some were, others were
not.  They may have had the double first course, but there is
evidence to the contrary that some vihuelas were string in octaves on
4,5, and 6th courses.

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street