     From: Martin Shepherd <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Double 1st string on 6 course lutes?
     To: "Lute List" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Saturday, 19 November, 2011, 18:45

   Hi Arto and All,
   I suggest a trawl through the iconography, counting pegs as well as
   strings.  I have seen at least a couple of 6c lutes with double first -
   sorry the references elude me for the moment.  But it was very common
   to have a double first in the late 16th/17th C, as evidenced by
   surviving instruments (including the little treble lute from the Venere
   workshop, and most liuti attiorbati) and writings - Dowland, Robinson,
   Mace, etc.
   Double firsts seem not to be popular these days, presumably because
   they are a little difficult to play on (I speak from experience) and
   possibly also because they imply a lower pitch than we currently tend
   to regard as normal.
   Best wishes,
   Martin