From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Roland Hogman
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 1:39 PM
To: Stewart McCoy
Cc: Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Guitar temperament

   Hello!
   For a nice introduction to the subject: How equal temperament ruined
   harmony by Ross W. Duffin ISBN 978-0-393-33420-3 (paperback)
   All the best!
   Roland Hogman

   2012/1/19 Stewart McCoy <[1]lu...@tiscali.co.uk>

     Dear Dominic,
     It has to be equal temperament.
     The question of temperament crops up from time to time on this list,
     and
     some subscribers have expressed strong views either for or against
     having fretted instruments in equal temperament. Our debate echoes
     the
     same debate musicians had during the 16th and 17th century.
     Those in favour of unequal temperament will refer to evidence such
     as:
     1) 16th-century vihuela players moving the 4th fret for the sake of
     pieces in flat keys, e.g. Luis Milan in 1536;
     2) Christopher Simpson's _Compendium_ in 1667 describing how some
     viol
     players and theorbo men had an extra first fret on their instrument.
     Those in favour of equal temperament will refer to:
     1) Galilei espousing equal temperament for lutes in 1582 with his
     18:17
     ratio for the placing of frets;
     2) Praetorius stating unequivocally in 1619 that lutes and viols
     were
     fretted in equal temperament.
     Much of the evidence may be found in Mark Lindley's excellent
     _Lutes,
     Viols & Temperaments_ (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1984).
     One
     may fairly quibble about his dubious conclusion that Valderrabano
     must
     have used equal temperament (page 22), but there is a wealth of
     information on the subject supporting both sides of the argument.
     Your evidence derived from Bartolotti is an important contribution
     the debate, and adds weight to the argument that baroque guitars
     were
     fretted in equal temperament.
     Best wishes,
     Stewart McCoy.