Hear hear!    :-)

Arto

On 24/01/12 13:39, William Samson wrote:
    Hi,

    I haven't read Duffin's book, but I can appreciate how people imagine
    they're using equal temperament when they aren't.

    Good guitarists, despite the fact that their frets are evenly
    spaced, will tweak their tuning before they start performing a piece,
    to ensure than the more important chords and intervals in the piece
    sound 'good'.  Simply using an electronic tuner for the open strings
    doesn't give you the pleasing quality that's provided by these final
    adjustments.

    Lutenists have even more latitude because of the possibility of moving
    the frets around - but the fact that frets are evenly spaced doesn't
    mean that you are locked into equal temperament.  It would
    be impossible to pin a label (quarter comma, Werkmeister whatever and
    so on) on the kind of temperament you get from tuning the important
    intervals to sound right, but it ain't necessarily 'equal'.  It's more
    of a 'season to taste' sort of temperament that depends on the ear of
    the performer rather than any theory of intervals.

    Interesting stuff.

    Bill
    From: Gordon Gregory<gor...@gordongregory.co.uk>
    To: Lute List<lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Sent: Tuesday, 24 January 2012, 10:49
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: Guitar temperament
    Hi,
    I read and enjoyed Duffin's book, particularly the discussions about
    how
    many 19th century tuners and performers claimed they used equal
    temperament,
    but actually used their own special flavours of unequal (and that
    accurate
    equal temperament only became common on keyboards in 1915 or so).
    Where I was disappointed was his failure in my mind address the other
    parts
    of his title " -- ruined harmony (and why it matters)". I was hoping
    for
    comment and further explanation of the different characters the most
    common
    chords in the popular keys, e.g. why Mozart, Haydn et al used Eb and D
    for
    specific special effects. I felt he did not really attempt that part of
    his
    project.
    Regards, Gordon