This won't work with most children guitars (and their strings) I know :-)
I tune in octaves in the first position, that's where they play, anyway.

Regards

Stephan

Am 24.01.2012, 13:18 Uhr, schrieb Ron Andrico <praelu...@hotmail.com>:

   Since I teach guitar, like many others on this list, I have developed
an easy method for tempering the tuning, and an explanation to go along
   with it.  I get an 'A' from some reliable source and tune the 5th
string as a natural harmonic at the 5th fret. I match and double-check
   with the first string fretted at the fifth fret.  I then match that
   same 'A' on all the other strings (second string, 10th fret, third
   string, 14th fret, matching harmonics, etc.).  I then tune the 'G' on
   the first string on the third fret to match the third string harmonic
   at the 12th fret, second string 'D' on the third fret to match the
   fourth string harmonic at the 12th fret.  This method seems to achieve
   an equal temperament on nearly any guitar with reasonably accurate
   fretting.  It takes care of the second string problem of acting as a
   perfect fifth to the 'E' as an open string, and as a perfect fifth to
   the 'G' when fretted at the third fret.  At least it seems simple to
   me, and my students just nod and act like they understand.
   RA