Bernd sent me the following (I don't think it got to the whole list):

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Bernd Haegemann" <b...@symbol4.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 23:38:51 +0100
To: "Leonard Williams" <arc...@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Dumps and Downes

I have only 2 dumps and thought them to be quite humpty-dumpty, but read
this:

**

Dump.
A type of instrumental piece occurring in English sources between about 1540
and 1640. Some
20 examples are known, more than half of them for lute and most of the
remainder for
keyboard. The word is of uncertain derivation. In the 16th century it
denoted mental
perplexity or a state of melancholy. The musical dump was variously
described as 'solemn and
still', 'deploring' and 'doleful'; there is some evidence to suggest that it
was the English
equivalent of the French déploration or tombeau, a piece composed in memory
of a recently
deceased person.

16 dumps are listed in Ward (1951): all are anonymous except for two by John
Johnson. A few
more are included in the catalogue in Lumsden, among them a relatively
ambitious work in the
Marsh Lutebook (IRL-Dm Z.3.2.13) labelled 'Dump philli' (ed. in Ward, 1992,
ii, no.4; the
piece is unlikely to be by either Philip van Wilder or Peter Philips as was
formerly
thought). The earliest known dump, My Lady Careys Dompe (in GB-Lbl
Roy.App.58; MB, lxvi,
1995, no.37), is familiar as an early example of idiomatic keyboard writing.
It is written
over an ostinato bass, a simple alternation of tonic and dominant (TTDD).
Most other dumps
share this type of construction, using similar bass patterns (DTDT, TTDT) or
standard
grounds such as the bergamasca, passamezzo antico and romanesca. Some later
examples have
different formal schemes, such as The Irishe Dumpe in the Fitzwilliam
Virginal Book (ed.
J.A. Fuller Maitland and W.B. Squire, Leipzig, 1899/R, rev. 2/1979-80 by B.
Winogron,
no.179), which is a simply harmonized melody of three strains. An isolated
late example is
An Irish Dump, an instrumental tune printed in Smollet Holden's A Collection
of Old
Established Irish Slow and Quick Tunes (Dublin, c1807) and reproduced in
Grove5; Beethoven
arranged it for voice and piano trio, to words by Joanna Baillie, in his
collection of 25
Irish songs woo152 no.8 (London and Edinburgh, 1814).

Bibliography
J.M. Ward: 'The "Dolfull Domps"', JAMS, iv (1951), 111-21

D. Lumsden: The Sources of English Lute Music, 1540-1620 (diss., U. of
Cambridge, 1955)

J. Caldwell: English Keyboard Music Before the Nineteenth Century (Oxford,
1973)

J.(M.) Ward: Commentary to The Dublin Virginal Manuscript (London, 1983)

J.M. Ward: Music for Elizabethan Lutes (Oxford, 1992)

Alan Brown

***

best wishes
Bernd