Thanks, all, for keeping this dialog going. It's a curious subject of music history and one that I feel lutenists (Elizabethan, anyway) need to explore.

The formal evidence certainly points to a usage that conforms to Shakespeare's example and it points to a tradition that types and pieces had a certain role to play in the psyche. I strongly believe they had a stronger impact that came closer to "hail[ing] men's souls" than we can hope for in modern times. "Psychoactive" is a word that comes to mind. To write that the Dumpe was a form of lullaby certainly appears naive in the face of this evidence and I'm familiar with its understood heritage. But usage and effects change as pieces evolve in their public life.

The Blues is an excellant example of evolution. Rev. Gary Davis talks about the first time he as a child heard a guy playing a guitar and it sounded like a whole brass band. The illusion in music is paramount and what we create in our minds, playing or listening, is a timeless conundrum. Times change and we've watched the blues turn into quite a few art forms. Critics go on about its definitions but they change from place to place, time to time, player to player and listener to listener. The OED is a wonderful reference for our age and it is also my favorite source of historically etymological anecdotes and snapshots.

I'm sure Johnson, Cotton and others playing their private collection of dumpes for their benefactors had much of the affect we see in the examples below and we can only guess the circumstances for which they were requested. I can imagine also that as they got copied from notebook to notebook, got picked up and played (and perhaps, overplayed) over the years by professionals and amateurs, their affect changed as well. Their formal definitions remained but their simplistic style doesn't lend itself to the notes remaining true -- they need to sound improvised and that they could go on forever-- unlike the serious structured drama and melancholia of Semper Dolens and Lachrima. In this loose structure I believe their formal implications are more pliant but that is a difficult point to prove.

In the 1560's to the -90's there appear to be a lot of fodder for repeated variation. The Phalese books are filled with hundreds of variations on Antico and V. Gallilei, too, gets on the bandwagon with his hundreds of Romanescas and hardly a compendium book is printed without them. What I think I'm seeing is a need for music to fill a space: fodder for the lutenist who needs material but nothing that puts him in the delicate position of virtuoso compositions for the uncaring, background music or as Brian Eno banally puts it, "a piece that can be listened to and yet be ignored". And this is where I find the concept of the Dumpe most fascinating. It has its ebb and flow but no terminus. There are periodic wanderings into melody and interest but rarely any counterpoint that draws you in; there are cadences but you hardly feel it will end at one. Rather than a journey getting underway, there are just waves lapping. Very nice waves, mind you, and the effect is entirely different than anything else in the renaissance songbook.

Thanks, Anthony, for bringing up the Roister Doister quote. It's a old favorite that says so much to how a lutenist/citternist/guitarist was perceived and on its own points persuaded me to read the play in its entirety. It's easy to overlook the culture that created Shakespeare's comedies but it's so much more than "fly-over-country". It's fecundant soil and everyone seems to grow their vegetables a little differently.

Sean

ps There's the related phrase to "down in the dumps" of "in a funk" so I thought I'd look that up. Oh lordy.

pps, incidently, did the dump survive into the baroque? Le Dompe du Sonnerie de Ste. Genevieve, perhaps? :^)