Jim was one of these rare birds - a very fine musician AND a respected
   musicologist.

   Bill
   From: Edward Mast <nedma...@aol.com>
   To: William Samson <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
   Cc: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2012, 13:45
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Right hand plucking position - was Re: Quality vs
   Quantity
   Hi Bill,
   Certainly Jim Tyler would be the most well known (at least as a
   performer) of Iadone's students.  But I don't know if there is any
   similarity in playing styles - I haven't really heard Tyler.  Chris
   williams studied with Iadone and recorded a bit with the NY Pro Musica,
   as did Lucy Cross.  But Iadone was a unique musician; the only
   comparisons that come to mind are musicians such as Art Tatum or Oscar
   Peterson.  He developed that kind of rhythmic excitement.  I attended
   some of the summer music workshops that he directed, and never had a
   lute lesson or heard a lute solo.  All ensemble work, singing, theory,
   or lute songs, and of course faculty and student concerts - but no
   solos.  A different emphasis.
   Best,
   Ned
   On Mar 28, 2012, at 3:18 AM, William Samson wrote:
   > Hi Ned,
   > It looks like quite an independent strand of development of lute
   technique was developed by Iadone, likely starting with the same
   sources as Poulton used.  I think Diana Poulton and Susanne Bloch
   became great friends in the '60s, but I could have my date wrong
   there.  Diana did attend at least one LSA get-together.
   > I would guess Iadone's influence on this side of the Pond mostly came
   via his student, the great Jim Tyler, who lived in London for many
   years.
   > I wondered if Paul O'Dette had studied lute with him, but as far as I
   can see the only lutenist teacher mentioned in his resume is Eugen
   Dombois - yet another strand!
   > Best regards,
   > Bill

   Quantity

   > Fortunately, I think, Iadone had no teacher (of lute) .  He was from
   quite a different musical and lute 'family' than Dolmetsch and
   Poulton;  no relation to Dolmetsch, I would say, and only a very
   distant relation to Poulton.

   > Best,
   >
   > Ned
   > On Mar 27, 2012, at 3:02 PM, William Samson wrote:
   >
   > > I couldn't agree more, Ned.  But Schaeffer was the one who
   successfully proselytised and tipped the balance.

   > > Even before Iadone there was Arnold Dolmetsch - a
   flesh-plucking-pinky-on-bridger, uncontaminated because he learned
   straight from the sources and didn't play classical guitar first.
   Here's an image of him around 100 years ago:
   > > [4]http://tinyurl.com/ccmoxu6
   > >
   > > He went on to teach Diana Poulton, who went on to teach . . .
   almost everybody!