On 22/01/2013 19:24, Pieter Van Tichelen wrote:
    Hi Martyn,
    All right, point made. I'm new to this list and might not be alerted
    enough to everyone's background yet. ;-) Sorry if I've written
    something obvious and well-known.
    About gittern/guitar sources: as always, nothing is ever easy when
    concerning early plucked instruments, and especially their
    nomenclature. I've tried to condense some thoughts about identifying
    16th century guitar/gittern sources (written, name only) - as I might
    type too much of an epistle if I let myself really go.

Well I would be interested to read more of what you have found out!
    First of all, prior to the 16th century, as pointed out by others
    already, there is no issue as there was only the "lute-like" gittern.
    If someone can ever point me to a source that has the guitar (figure-8
    shaped) outside of Spain prior to the 16th century... that would be
    quite stunning as I've been researching the gittern for some time now
    and never found a trace pointing to that direction so far.
    Much depends on the time and place of the source.
    Starting at the 1530s and 1540s the confusion begins,

Yes indeed...I find this very interesting. Why call figure-of-eight instruments, gitterns (or similar spellings)?
  mainly in France
    - where some publications do point out the term "guiterne" with the
    figure-8 shaped instrument (such as the title page of Morlaye).
    However, other contempary French sources use the same name for the
    lute-like instrument too. (For example, Pierre Belon observes in 1553 a
    certain lute-like instrument from Eastern Europe which he compares to
    the "guiterne", thereby showing some characteristics that point to the
    lute-shaped instrument, even pointing out it's made from one piece of
    wood.

An inventory at the death of Philippe de la Canessiere in 1551
    mentions "trois guiternes dont une `a unze cordes et les deux aultres
    petites" - 3 gitterns of which one with 11 strings and the other two
    small; once more hinting that the old gittern hadn't vanished just yet.
I don't follow this last bit, Pieter.
    Even in 1571, Maurice de la Porte still claims "la guiterne est comme
    un diminutif du luth" - the gittern is a small lute.) If the source is
    French and from after 1540, be careful as it might be either for
    "guitar" or "gittern". Interestingly enough, some inventories of
    instrument makers like the Denis builders seem to have tried to make a
    distinction between a "guitarne" and a "guiterne" (where the guiterne
    has "fondz de lut" or a lute back). I therefore would place it that a
    source putting an "a" guitar(n)e in France in the second half of the
    16th century is not referring to the lute-like instrument. This however
    doesn't discount that there are numerous cases where the figure-8
    shaped instrument was called guiterne in French sources of the same
    period. It can however be a good guideline if come across that
    particular spelling with an "a". However in some cases even this rule
    can't be followed, the inventory of yet another instrument builder,
    Pierre Aubry in 1596, has "viels lucs de guitarne" - suggesting the old
    lute-like gittern. After 1600, the interest in the gittern seems to
    have taken a low as I can't find as much sources in France anymore that
    point to the old gittern. (In contrast, mandores are build abundantly.)

This is really interesting. I thought that the mandore of the 1580s and later WAS the gittern. Do any of the sources you have found suggest method of play on the 'late' gittern (fingerstyle or plectrum...or the strange mandore technique of plectrum somehow attached to a finger!)
    Another thing that might throw some confusion and to which I have
    dedicated some of research time is the origin of the British "gittern",
    a form of cittern which seems to have been introduced (or rather
    imported) to England around 1550.

I thought Ward argued that the small cittern=gittern was second half of 17th C?
  If you want to read up on that
    particular instrument, J. M. Ward's publication "Sprightly & Cheerful
    Musick: Notes on the Cittern, Gittern and Guitar in 16th and 17th
    century England" from the Lute Society Journal are a good starting
    point. So tread very carefully if a written source or manuscript
    mentioning "gittern" comes from Great Britain after 1550. However, I
    found some interesting mainland sources pointing towards a soprano
    cittern that show this instrument wasn't isolated to Great Britain and
    actually has some links with the ancient gittern. (I won't pursue this
    matter here as it's probably more suitable for the cittern mailing
    list. :) )

The cittern list has fallen out of use. Do tell us how the 'soprano' cittern' (? the little English one without the back that Praetorius mentions?) relates to the ancient gittern?
    The sources of Sebastian Virdung, Martin Agricola and Nachtgall need
    hardly recalling when looking at the German-speaking countries.
    Interistingly enough Nachtgall's latinisation of the "quiterna" is
    "lutina". But as late as 1571, Roth's Woerterbuch mentions "Quintern:
    ein lauten mit neun saiten, welche den gross bumbart mit seiner octaf
    nit hat" (gittern: a lute with 9 strings, missing the bass string with
    its octave).
    For Italy, I have still to start further research, but most indications
    I already have collected show some popularity continued right until the
    end of the 15th century. (I already mentioned Tinctoris - and Monica
    kindly quoted his passage on the instrument. Some of the more important
    lute players from the 15th century are linked to the gittern (noted in
    court records as gittern players or even having the nickname of "dal
    chitarino" in the case of Pietrobono).) I have yet to start looking for
    gittern sources in the 16th century but some of the bibliographical
    links given by other people pointed out to me that I might not be lone
    in my quest. ;)
    Monica already pointed out Bermudo's "guitar" on which I've little to
    add. I think it unlikely the gittern still existed in Spain in the 16th
    century - though I've made little effort so far to pursue such
    research. The bandurria however seems to come very close to the
    original form of the gittern; it's as though history repeated itself.
    As a final thought: the "lute-like gittern" as well as the
    "cittern-like gittern" continued to exist well into the 18th century
    and can cause lots of headaches when looking at more recent sources as
    well as old, 16th century ones. (And I'm sure you all know about the
    "English guitar" cittern from after the 1750s.)

I understand what you mean by the "lute-like gittern" (and, again, how is that different from the mandore?) but not what you mean by "cittern-like gittern"? And finally, on the face of of it, English guitars seem very distant from the gittern tradition (which is usually thought of as pretty much extinct by the early 1750s when the English pops up).

Lots of new ideas to me, anyway, Pieter

Stuart

    Kind regards
    Pieter