On Jan 22, 2013, at 1:34 AM, Monica Hall wrote:
   I'm couldn't count the courses, pegs or pegholes as the image isn't
   that
   clear.   Also I don't think you can assume that these things are
   correct to
   every detail.
   Dear Monica,
   I hope you're looking at the second website I gave for this image.
   [1]http://www.wga.hu/art/m/mola_ap/musical2.jpg
   The courses aren't accurate because (probably from limitations of the
   medium) the artist only included a cursory number of strings on both
   instruments. Looking at the pegbox, I see three pegs on the left with
   one more above which would give 6. This would mean either a 6-single
   course vihuela or one of fewer courses with a combination of single and
   double courses if we take this literally. I'll agree we can't be sure
   as you say.
   But apart from that it looks too big overall to be  a 4-course guitar
   Looking at the sizes of the double flute and recorder it's rather small
   for our usual tenor vihuela. (certainly smaller than my
   54cm-stringlength french ren guitar). In many of the images on the
   Cipher's image site the combination of a plucked instrument with a
   bowed show a smaller 'fiddle' than, say, a tenor instrument. I have no
   reason expectation to suspect this duo would be any different.
   and why should anyone want to reduce the number of courses.
   Maybe to tune in 5ths and get the same range and tuning of the bowed
   instrument? Maybe fewer strings worked for the player better? Maybe the
   two players or one swapped instruments? Maybe to use less strings or
   economy? Who knows? Maybe at this early development of (whatever)
   instrument  this is, someone found that a small plucked instrument
   could _also_ work with less courses.
   Most of the plucked instruments images and literature we see in the
   late 15th century are related to either a pious or a noble environment
   and where the carefully thought out music would reign. If there was an
   instrument that was played for strumming, rhythm-work and, I daresay,
   dancing, we would hardly see money being invested in its portraiture.
   Dalza proves that the genre existed and it had an extensive literature
   from a variety of sources. How much of this iceberg tip we're seeing
   is, of course, speculative.
   In the main body of Dalza's literature we see two important parts and
   not much more: a strong melody and we see chords underneath. The chords
   aren't well regulated by rules of counterpoint or even mode as his
   constant blue notes suggest. (Dalza does show he can abide by the rules
   quite competently when necessary in his frottole intabulations though
   he pales beside Spinacino) Looking at the Ferrarese he doesn't mind
   using whatever chord 'works' but also doesn't mind putting the opening
   melody at the tonic or the 5th. Or, even that one need _ever_  change
   chords! It's loosy-goosy and obviously not high on his list of what's
   important. Again, this literature was real and apparently extensive.
   So who was playing it that Petrucci felt it would make money by
   publishing it as the last of his solo lutebooks? Was it an established
   _lute_ literature or was it perhaps cobbled together from a variety of
   playing groups of different instrument groups and the tunes they played
   or some combination? How would he most efficiently reconcile a lot of
   different kinds of settings into a book of dance music? His decision to
   put lute chords under a melody is sufficiently shrewd to both play solo
   _and_ to disseminate a group structure.
   Looking at this vihuela-like instrument it looks considerably easier to
   make than a lute (peghead and body points notwithstanding) and gives
   more internal volume than a lute would of similar stringlength. If I
   was the plucker in a small-town group with a cheaper patron --if any--
   I imagine I'd find something like this in my hands a lot quicker than a
   lute and, further, I'd find it a lot easier to keep a rhythm on it and
   buy strings. It's certainly easier to make without a mold or staves.
   (There may have even been a stigma attached to non-aristocratic bands
   having an oud-looking instrument in the group although more-so in Spain
   but countryfolk have their mindset regardless) Even today there's a
   cottage industry of making ukes from cigarboxes and I'd hardly expect
   one to figure in the illustration of the birth of Christ or the
   inauguration of a president. Ditto, the birth of the banjo with its
   gourd body and its earliest literature. Or even the penny whistle,
   ocarina, tambourine, etc. In short, the graphic representations we have
   of the instrumentation are skewed to the aristocratic taste and
   setting.
   Notice here, too, in the illustration of the double flute (and possible
   ocarina): it lends further doubt that this image --and, probably,
   room-- was devoted to highbrow song-making. This one image could easily
   describe the instrumentarium of one working dance band: one fiddler,
   one wind player and a strummer/plucker --maybe more, maybe fewer. (Not
   entirely unrelatedly, I had a friend who played Lord Oxenford's March
   w/ me on two recorders (sop/alto) at once. It quickly became Ol' Oxy's
   Thump)
   The Borgias were Spanish.
   Excellent. Now we have a mechanism for the import of both the music
   ("spagnolas") and the instrument. Of course we can't know if they were
   the first to import this waisted instrument or legitimise it in
   aristocratic circles. We assume the lute didn't drop from favor during
   the relative absence of publications for it between Dalza and the
   1540's and I'm assuming the instrument that we see here didn't as well.
   It didn't figure highly enough in publications circles to make much
   impact even in the '40s but perhaps it retained enough of its Spanish
   connotation that Barbaris published what little he did in Milan's tab
   style. When the French Ren guitar eventually appeared on the scene it
   was mostly branles and other dance music (again with spanish hints such
   as the many Conte Claires and Roman-escas) with the most idiomatic
   being the branles and the least fitting being the intabulations despite
   the best arts of Morlaye and that Italian fellow, Alberto.
   All I'm trying to argue for is that it is a popular instrument that
   flew under the historical record's radar and as such, cannot be argued
   away by the lack of greater record. This is, I believe, a reference to
   it . The references are where we would expect them from those rare
   occasions when it rose to aristocratic notice but this rare image shows
   it to be in its more popular environment.
   best wishes,
   Sean
   If you go back to page one of the site and scroll down you will find a
   similar image  of a fresco in the Borgia Apartments, the Vatican,
   "Quadrivium, Music", by Bernadino Pinturicchio, dated 1493.
   Monica
   ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson"
   <[2]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>