Dear Ralf,

I had the same experience and snapped two .42's learning that New Nylgut won't
always replace the old Nylgut of the same diameter (the second course did
fine). My only difference being that my mensur is 60cm. I ordered .39 NNG and
that solved it. I only use nng for the 1st course, 4th 8ve and occasionally for
the 2nd course (and the rest gut) so don't have experience in using it
elsewhere.

My guess is that in winding the old .42 ng to tension it stretched enough to
actually become .39 in diameter. Nng apparantly won't stretch that long in
finer diameters. Or alternately, the abrupt bend as the string leaves bridge
hole may be too much for the small diameter.

Old/white ng does like its stretch: It's the only string  I've found that,
after about 7 months as a chanterelle, that goes flat in the upper frets
--leading me to believe it loses a bit more diameter in the center of its
length over time. After a year of using nng I have yet to observe any
intonation problems.

Those older nylguts would ocassionally be tricky. I sometimes had success by
winding to a 4th below pitch and waiting a while, say, an hour and then winding
to a 2nd below pitch and waiting again in the theory that it needs time to
adjust internally and/or in the knots. It's certainly not as forgiving as a
nylon chanterelle but neither does have the nylon's sound, thankfully.

Btw, I have a lute buddy whose 63cm lute has a difficult time supporting gut to
that pitch and uses a .39 (or less) old ng. You might have to go back to
whatever had been successful.

I hope this helps.

Sean