Would dipping well seasoned veteran NngA strings freshen them up? A I'm
   thinking of trying this but if it'd be more likely to kill them I think
   I'll pass
   On Thursday, June 13, 2013, Paolo Busato wrote:

     Dear all,
     I alredy posted the solution three months ago. Mimmo Peruffo
     suggests to dip the string(s) in boiling water for 20 seconds (it
     worked for me at least).
     Best wishes,
     Paolo Busato lute-maker
     [1]www.busatolutes.com
     e-mail: [2]paolo.busato-at-busatolutes.com
     _____
     Il contenuto di questa e-mail e dei file allegati Ae RISERVATO e da
     considerarsi utilizzabile solamente dalla persona o dall'ente cui Ae
     indirizzato. Se avete ricevuto questa e-mail per errore, siete
     pregati di
     eliminarla e di contattare il mittente (Legge italiana 196/2003).
     A The
     content of this e-mail and any files is CONFIDENTIAL and intended
     solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
     addressed.
     If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email
     and any attachments and contact the sender. (Italian Law 196/2003)
     _____

     A  From: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>
     A  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     A  Sent: Thursday, 13 June 2013, 14:36
     A  Subject: [LUTE] Aquila Nylgut Problems
     A  Dear collected lute list wisdom,
     A  I just tried to switch my (late) medieval lute from
     A  all gut to all nylgut, everything fine, except: the top
     A  strings (63cm / g' @ 440 Hz - using 0.42mm) can't be put up to
     full
     A  tension.
     A  Both strings imediately break directly at the bridge. Strangely
     A  the aren't even close to their breaking point (at least they
     still
     A  feel quite elsatic). Bridge design can't be the problem - the
     A  bridge is rather soft and well worn out (and I never had a broken
     A  top at the bridge, even in much thinner gut).
     A  Is this a known problem. Did I get samples from a bad batch?
     A  TIA Ralf Mattes
     A  P.S.: off course this always happens the day before an important
     A  rehearsal ...
     A  --
     A  R. Mattes -
     A  Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg
     A  [1]r...@inm.mh-freiburg.de
     A  To get on or off this list see list information at
     A  [2][3]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html
     A  --