  From: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>
  To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
  Sent: Thursday, 13 June 2013, 14:36
  Subject: [LUTE] Aquila Nylgut Problems
  Dear collected lute list wisdom,
  I just tried to switch my (late) medieval lute from
  all gut to all nylgut, everything fine, except: the top
  strings (63cm / g' @ 440 Hz - using 0.42mm) can't be put up to full
  tension.
  Both strings imediately break directly at the bridge. Strangely
  the aren't even close to their breaking point (at least they still
  feel quite elsatic). Bridge design can't be the problem - the
  bridge is rather soft and well worn out (and I never had a broken
  top at the bridge, even in much thinner gut).
  Is this a known problem. Did I get samples from a bad batch?
  TIA Ralf Mattes
  P.S.: off course this always happens the day before an important
  rehearsal ...
  --
  R. Mattes -
  Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg