I've had similar problems with my 67cm lute tuned to f' (440).  The
   string lasted a few days then snapped - this happened a couple
   of times.  I'm now using nylon for my first course.

   Bill
   From: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Sent: Thursday, 13 June 2013, 14:36
   Subject: [LUTE] Aquila Nylgut Problems
   Dear collected lute list wisdom,
   I just tried to switch my (late) medieval lute from
   all gut to all nylgut, everything fine, except: the top
   strings (63cm / g' @ 440 Hz - using 0.42mm) can't be put up to full
   tension.
   Both strings imediately break directly at the bridge. Strangely
   the aren't even close to their breaking point (at least they still
   feel quite elsatic). Bridge design can't be the problem - the
   bridge is rather soft and well worn out (and I never had a broken
   top at the bridge, even in much thinner gut).
   Is this a known problem. Did I get samples from a bad batch?
   TIA Ralf Mattes
   P.S.: off course this always happens the day before an important
   rehearsal ...
   --
   R. Mattes -
   Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg