On Aug 4, 2013, at 5:11 AM, Mark Seifert <seifertm...@att.net> wrote:

> Why the piano chauvinism in modern music?  I don't like piano (except
>   maybe Debussy, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Hummel, Schumann, Tim Story)

You might want to check out this dude named Beethoven.

> Bach firmly rejected the newfangled
>   1709 piano instruments offered to him.  I cringe or become nauseated by
>   disgust whenever 16th or 17th century singing is accompanied by a
>   piano.

Both inaccurate and irrelevant, I think.

Re inaccurate, here's my recycled response to a similar comment last year:

Johann Friedrich Agricola related in a 1768 treatise on keyboard instruments
that Bach once tried a Silbermann pianoforte (didn't say when or where), and
liked
its tone but said the bass was weak and the action was too heavy.   Silbermann
sulked, but spent years improving the instrument, and Bach later expressed
"complete approval" of his pianos  It's on page 259 of the 1966 "revised"
edition of the Bach Reader.

"The Piano" (by four authors including fortepiano builders Philip Belt and
Derek Adlam), on page 8, connects the "complete approval" that Agricola
mentions with Bach's 1747 visit to Frederick the Great in Berlin, which
resulted in the Musical Offering.  Big Fred had  a few  Silbermann pianos.
"The Piano" says they "are reported [by whom? Agricola?] to have met Bach's
complete approval" on that occasion [which is probably speculation], "and the
composer served as a sales agent for Silbermann in 1749 (see C.  Wolff: 'New
Research on Bach's Musical Offering', MQ, lvii (1971),  403)." Of course,
Silbermann was famous for his organs and harpsichords, and Bach's admiration
for Silbermann's organs is well documented.

Re irrelevant: 1) The mid-eighteenth-century piano is about as closely related
to the modern one as the renaissance lute is to the modern guitar, and 2) why
would Bach's view of the piano be important now?