Thank you for the exceptionally deep and interesting info, Howard.  I
   haven't yet listened to or opened my Teaching Co. Goldberg course on
   the Beethoven Piano Concertos, so I'm reserving judgement.  Didn't list
   Lizst because that peripatetic peacock pianist is supposedly the
   originator of the awful tradition known as the "master class," and he
   was close to that creator of overblown events Wagner, whose operas are
   "better than they sound" according to Sam Clemens.

   I think it was Greenberg who said in his Bach course that Bach didn't
   like Silbermann's pianos, though he loved Silbermann's organs and
   harpsichords.  Bach was the heaviest hitter I could think of for help
   in politically attacking the modern piano Goliath.   Your point is well
   taken that those old pianos weren't like the newer ones.  But I doubt
   the interesting archival hearsay that Bach provided his complete
   approval (how conveenient for piano lovers and Mr. Gould).

   My concern is that requiring young potential guitar or lute players to
   learn piano first could severely thin the ranks to the vanishing
   point.  I think classical Guitar and lute are difficult instruments
   requiring for success almost total commitment, unlike many other
   instruments.  Also, only well-to-do folks had pianos where/when I grew
   up--my piano playing mother gave hers up to aid the purchase of a
   house. It was painful and pathetic later watching her nostalgically
   play a toy 16?-key plastic piano provided to the kids.

   Are you a piano player as well as a lute enthusiast?

   Mark Seifert